Kremlin Admits 'Dozens' Of Russian Mercenaries Died In US Airstrike In Syria

Moscow on Tuesday said dozens of Russian citizens were injured after a us drone attack this month in eastern Syria, amid mounting reports of casualties among Russian nationals in the country.

The Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement on February 15 about Russian citizens killed in Syria.

The CBS TV Channel claimed in early February that Russians were among the Syrian pro-government forces, which allegedly attacked the headquarters of the Washington-backed Syrian Democratic Forces near the village of Khusham in the province of Deir ez-Zor on February 7.

More news: Federal Bureau of Investigation was warned about alleged shooter almost 5 months ago, tipster says

"The recent military clashes, in no way involving Russian servicemen or service equipment, resulted in the deaths of citizens of Russia and the CIS [former Soviet republics], as already mentioned", the ministry said in an online statement Tuesday.

"In the course of a recent military confrontation.there were deaths [among] citizens of Russian Federation and countries of the CIS.and there were wounded - several dozens of them", the new statement said.

"It is not the place of the Foreign Ministry to assess the legality and legitimacy of their decisions".

More news: Stephen Colbert Issues A Stark Warning To Omarosa About Life After Trump

The statement appears to confirm media reports last week that said scores of Russian mercenaries were being treated at Russian military hospitals.

The ministry said it had helped the injured Russians return home where they were "receiving medical care in various medical institutions".

The ministry denied the relation of the killed and the wounded with the regular Russian armed forces.

More news: Mohamed Salah joins African scoring legends of English Premier League

"There are Russian citizens in Syria, who went there on their own will and for various purposes".