Slippery mess to linger into Tuesday morning

Freezing rain and snow led officials to cancel classes Tuesday in dozens of schools, including those in Baraboo, Mauston, Wisconsin Dells, Nekoosa and Portage.

Mixed wintry precipitation is expected over southern and eastern Minnesota into western Wisconsin early Monday morning through Tuesday with accumulating snow for western into central Minnesota Monday night into Tuesday.

Freezing rain is expected until noon, but drizzle is likely to take its place in the afternoon, according to the latest information from the National Weather Service.

More news: Silicon Valley billianaire Thiel reportedly to move business to Los Angeles

Wednesday will be quiet and sunny as temperatures try to warm to near freezing.

The Weather Service said there's a 20 percent chance for snow after midnight Wednesday, a 60 percent chance for rain and snow Friday and Friday night, dropping to 20 percent Saturday.

Today: Rain will move back into the area this morning, becoming heavy at times this morning.

More news: Asteroid expected to pass near earth early on Saturday, says NASA

Southwest Airlines have canceled almost all flights before 1 p.m. Tuesday, and American and United have canceled some as well.

We are tracking some more active weather for Thursday through Saturday with scattered rain/snow chances each day. Mostly cloudy with a high near 32.

Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 12.

More news: Indianapolis prosecutor blasts Trump for politicizing football player death

The Missouri Highway Patrol responded to at least six accidents since 7:30 a.m. The meteorological winter (December through February) precipitation total (rain plus snow converted to liquid) rose to 3.31 inches, 0.47 inches below normal. Outside of that, rainfall accumulations will be anywhere from 1-2 inches, with higher amounts south of I-70.