J&K cops beaten up by soldiers in civvies

Half a dozen Jammu and Kashmir policemen were injured, two of them seriously, in an attack by Army troops at Gund in northern district of Ganderbal late on Friday night, police said.

The incident took place when private vehicles, carrying Army personnel in civil dress, were returning from the Baltal base camp of the yatra and were signalled to stop at the Sonamarg checkpost.

They said the policemen told them that government has fixed a cut-off timing for Amarnath yatris movement in the Valley and their vehicles can not be allowed to move beyond the point.

"When the police party deployed in Sonamarg tried to stop them for going ahead they beat them before moving to Gund village".

The statement also said, "It was when an Army officer with his men from nearby the Army unit entered the police station and had a heated argument with the SHO resulting in scuffle between Army men and policemen in which some policemen received minor injuries".

More news: Ranbir Kapoor-Katrina Kaif Starrer Jagga Jasoos Second Day Collection

In a different turn of events, six policemen, including an ASI, were injured after Army jawans attacked them.

The incident took place yesterday at around 10.30 p.m when a few army personnel were returning from Amarnath Yatra.

The army has said that the issue has been sorted out after intervention by senior officers of army as well as police.

"The army men got down from the vehicles and roughed up the policemen on duty", he added.

The matter has been taken up with the Army which has assured of a thorough inquiry into the incident.

More news: Inquiry into contaminated blood scandal to be launched

The armymen allegedly damaged desktops and laptops at the police station, besides tearing off the Daily Diary (DD), they said.

Senior army and police officials are now investigating the matter.

The police have registered an FIR (No. 18/2017) under section 147,148, 307, 323, 332, 353, 452, and 102.

Former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah took to Twitter to demand an explanation for the incident.

Army officials said they are ascertaining the details of the incident and would be able to comment only "when we know what exactly happened".

More news: Led research shows potential for world-first gonorrhoea vaccine